What are Google Chrome Extensions? A Guide For Marketers
In the world of digital marketing, there are no ‘cheat codes’ or easy, guaranteed routes to success. There’s no single ‘magic formula’ that you can apply to any business that will immediately see it ranking at the top of Google, for instance. And there’s no way to persuade more people to click on your adverts, besides simply making them better.
However, there are things you can use as a marketer to maximise your chances of success. One of them happens to be the subject of this article: Google Chrome extensions. If you’re new to the concept of extensions (or even to the Chrome browser full stop), we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about them in this guide – from explaining what they are and how they work to listing five must-haves. Let’s get started.
An intro to extensions
Not all of them will be useful to you, obviously. Many of them aren’t particularly useful to anyone, if we’re honest. But among the sea of questionable applications are hundreds of hidden gems, which can boost your productivity, offer helpful insights, save you time and generally make your life that much easier.
From screenshot capture tools to live sports news and even games, there really is an extension for everything.
How to install (and remove) them
Installing Chrome extensions is super simple. To get started, navigate to the Chrome Web Store and find one that takes your fancy. Click on it, then click on the ‘Add to Chrome’ button at the top right of your screen.
Follow the instructions and prompts that follow, and voila: your Extension should be installed. A new icon should appear at the top right of your browser toolbar, next to the puzzle piece icon. If it doesn’t, click the puzzle piece to find your new Extension and pin it to your toolbar. To activate the Extension and change its settings, simply click on the associated icon in your toolbar.
Uninstalling an Extension is even simpler! Hover over the icon in your toolbar, right click and then hit ‘Remove from Chrome’. Job done.
Five of the best Chrome extensions for marketers
So, now that you know what extensions are and how they work, let’s take a look at some of our top marketing-related picks.
- SEO Pro: Want a quick, simple way to analyse your competitors’ metadata – or identify areas of improvement to boost your search rankings? The SEO Pro Extension by MarketingSyrup is the perfect place to start.
- SEO Review Tools: If you haven’t yet heard of the SEO Review Tools website, you’re missing out! This simple Extension neatly integrates all of these useful tools into your browser, saving you time.
- Keywords Everywhere: If you’re currently conducting keyword research, you’ll love this Extension. When you search Google, this app displays a load of related keywords in a sidebar, along with their search volume and cost per click.
- Grammarly: Need to write social media posts? Not totally confident in your spelling, punctuation and grammar? Grammarly is a neat extension that can help take care of those aspects for you, allowing you to focus on being creative.
- Bitly: Another social media timesaver. Need shortened links for Twitter? Bitly has you covered with this easy-to-use Extension.
All of these applications are available to add to Chrome via the free-to-use Web Store. So, what are you waiting for? Give them a try and see how you get on – we bet you’ll wish you tried extensions sooner!